Have you ever come across India’s first asymmetrical cable-stayed Bridge? If no then you must once a visit Signature Bridge located in Delhi. The Signature Bridge is ultimately considered as a cantilever spar cable-stayed bridge. This Bridge extends its existence right from the river Yamuna at Wazirabad section and well combines it with Wazirabad to East Delhi. Perhaps this is the pylon of the significant bridge which is considered to be one of the tallest structures in and around Delhi. If you can approximately consider its height would be two times more than that of Qutub Minar which is approximately 154-meter in it.
The Signature Bridge took 14 years in order to construct it and is now one of the centres of attractions within the city. The Grand launch of this Bridge has been inaugurated by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal along with Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on November 4, 2018. And, from November 5th onwards the massive Bridge is open for the public to visit. However, the grand event has been one of the successful events that are followed by laser show that attracted people from all corners of Delhi. No doubt this first asymmetrical cable-stayed Bridge will offer a panoramic view of the entire Delhi. It often involves a flyover along with a ground level rotary at Khajuri Kha’s intersection.
- Contractor: Joint Venture Gammon India and Tensa India Construtora Cidade
- Main span: 251 meters
- Structural Design Firm: Schlaich Bergermann Partner
- Structural steel deck: 7400 tonne
- Open foundation: 6 numbers
- Closed foundation: 16 numbers
- The height of pylon: 165 meters above ground
- The total length of infrastructure project: 6&nb top; km (approx.)
- Lanes: 2 x 4
- Structural steel pylon: 5800 tonne
- Deck surface: 25,000 meters2
- The total length of bridge: 675 m (incl. 100 m west extension)
- Side spans: 36 meters
The Delhi Signature Bridge offers
Well, here is something interesting that the Signature Bridge offers for its visitors. These interesting things often make you feel that you should visit it at least once in your lifetime.
- The Signature Bridge is contained 154-meter-high glass box that in fact serves as a point of attraction from where the visitors can enjoy the sightseeing. This is in fact known as the bird’s eye view that will be very soon available for all the visitors by the month of February in 2019.
- It is too good to be true that the Signature Bridge makes the travelling time faster, providing good means of transport between north and North Delhi and it also acts as a tourist destination for many people.
- The significant height of the Signature Bridge is approximately 575-meter that is often constructed with an intention satisfy the people who take selfies. Therefore it is specially designed with a selfie spot in order to cover the entire bridge in a single click.
- However, there are 4 elevators open for the visitors in order to enjoy the entire view of the city. This will, however, carry 50 people at a time, which is going to come within the next two to three months.
Some interesting facts to know about the Signature Bridge
It also has some interesting facts that every tourist is more intended to know about. So let’s get started knowing about each of them in detail.
- The main intention to construct the bridge is to balance the traffic that exists at the Wazirabad Bridge. Then when constructing this Bridge it offers to save a route for people who are moving between Delhi and Ghaziabad.
- It is well connected with the outer ring road on the Western Bank along with Wazirabad Road on the Eastern Bank of the Yamuna.
- Moreover, the bridge is ready to unclog some of the roots such as Timarpur and ISBT to Khajuri Khas, including other routes that exist between the northeast as well as north Delhi.
- Perhaps the project of the signature which has been classified into two different packages. The first section of it consists of route existing between eastern and western directions along with main cable-stayed Bridge that connects different places. Secondly, the places, connecting the Eastern ghats approach has a 1.8 km long embankment that often connects this Bridge with the marginal Bund road, at the Khajuri Khas intersection, in East Delhi.
- It approximately says 30 minutes of time for people who are travelling between Ghaziabad and Bhopura Border providing them with a better option to travel.
- The overall development of the Signature Bridge has been taken care by the Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation. However, the main idea is to develop business skills and make Delhi a best tourist place.
- It has been proposed in 2004 and eventually reached the Government of Delhi in the year 2007. The overall commencement of the bridge has been postponed since 2004 and finally, in the year 2015, the government has taken the lead step. However, in the year 2017, the Government of Delhi has approved rupees 100 crores in order to construct the bridge. The deadline has been fixed for March 2018 and has been finally been out on November 4th, 2018.
- The overall length of the bridge is measured to be 675 meters and has a width of 35.2 meters. It has been constructed in the shape of the bow that is 154 meters tall and is one of the first asymmetrical cable-stayed bridge in our country.
- Even though the actual budget is a hundred crores, but it has been extended to cost Rs 887 crore, which rose to Rs 1,131 crore in 2013. The DTTDC in 2016 sent a revised estimate of Rs 1,575 crore to the government for approval and the government released Rs 1,414 crore..
- The Delhi High Court admonished the Public Works Department and Delhi Tourism and Transport Development Corporation (DTTDC), regarding the squabbling of the constructional expenditure.
- Above all the AAP government has undergone a survey making use of drones in order to estimate the realignment for the signal-free corridor, to establish a connection to the DND fly-away, in South Delhi. All being said, this is perhaps one of the first feasibility projects that have been implemented making the use of drones.
- The Delhi government has taken a strong decision in order to resolve the overall funding issues. The issues have been existing between the PWD and the DTTDC the Delhi. However, the government decided to take the financial department into consideration, allowing the third-party audit of the estimates.
Finally, the wait for the Delhi’s Signature Bridge is eventually over as it has been open for the visitors from 4th November 2018. Significantly, this bridge will definitely bring down the travel time that has been between north and northeast Delhi. However, it has been under progress for 8 years and eventually took its form. Of course, there are many strong reasons that delayed the completion of the Signature Bridge. Earlier the Delhi High Court has also reported the agencies in order to submit some timelines for the completion of the project. And it has now finally taken its place and stood as one of the best places to visit in Delhi.