When it comes to an automated manufacturing process, an industrial control panel always plays an important role. At its most basic level, the job of an industrial control panel is to house various electric devices that all provide signals was direct the operation of various pieces of equipment. Control systems are at the core of every engineering process and this is largely directed by control panels. Therefore, it is important for everyone to be familiar with the basic parts of control panels, how they are programmed, and how they can be serviced. There are a few important points that everyone should keep in mind.
The Main Components of an Industrial Control Panel
When it comes to an industrial control panel, there are several important components that play key roles. These include:
- Transformers: Transformers are incredibly important to Industrial control panels. They are used to either increase or reduce AC voltages that travel between circuits. One of the most common applications of industrial control panel transformers involves converting higher voltage to lower voltage signals, allowing other devices in the control panel to use this power source.
- The Power Supply: The power supply is also incredibly important for control panels, as they convert alternating current voltage to direct current voltage. Some of the most common voltages that our supplies handled include 480 volt alternating current, 120 volt alternating current, and 24 volt direct current.
- Circuit Breakers: Circuit breakers are among the most important components of every industrial control panel. They are responsible for cutting the source of power if there is an excess of electrical current that runs the risk of damaging the control panel itself.
- The Disconnect Switch: A disconnect switch for an industrial control panel comes in many shapes and forms. The overall purpose of a disconnect switch is to separate the electrical supply from the control panel, protecting both of them. One of the most common applications of a disconnect switch has to do with repairs and maintenance that might take place in the control panel. It is important to remove the power source that anyone is working on the control panel for safety purposes.
- Terminal Blocks: Terminal blocks are specified connection points that join two or more wires to each other. Terminal blocks are often arranged together in a strip. They serve to direct power from one source to various components throughout the control panel itself.
- Electrical or Magnetic Relays: Relays are supposed to allow low currents to activate higher degrees of current. The relay activates lower current levels via an input circuit. Then, an electromagnet is activated, play the circuit closed. In this manner, relays are important for making sure current is directed to the appropriate locations.
These are just a few of the most important components of industrial control panels. All of them play an important role and they need to work together in order to provide a functional control panel.
Programming of Industrial Control Panels
While an industrial control panel is an impressive piece of hardware, it is not going to work well without the right software program. It is important to find a software program that has been optimized for the application. In this case, the application is an industrial control panel.
Engineers play an important role in making sure industrial control panels are programmed properly. Engineers work hard to stay on top of this field, ensuring they are able to work with industrial control panels that are manufactured by a wide variety of companies. Some of the most common entities that engineers use when it comes to programming industrial control panels include Rockwell Factory, UGS Factory Link, Intellulation, Wonderware, and HMI systems.
In addition, it is important to make sure that industrial control panels are able to link to the network and the various computers on the network. Without this connection, it is going to be impossible for someone to control the industrial control panel properly. Furthermore, it is also important to be able to acquire data from the industrial control panel. This data is important for making decisions regarding the manufacturing processes of the company. This is just another manner in which programming is important. With the right program management and control projects, it is possible for engineers, technicians, and networking experts to leverage the true power of industrial control panels. Clearly, programming is an important role in making sure industrial control panels are working as they should.
Industrial Control Panel Services
Clearly, industrial control panels are at the center of numerous manufacturing processes across multiple industries. It is important for everyone to make sure they are able to take care of their industrial control panels with the help of trained professionals. At Carter Industrial Automation, we are here to help you with that task. Our engineers and technicians work hard to stay on top of the latest information in our field because we believe this place is us in the best position possible to meet your needs. When it comes to industrial control panels, we have an unparalleled level of experience that we can leverage to make sure that you get the most out of your control panels. To learn more about our services and how we can help you with all of your industrial control panel needs, please give us a call today! We would be honored to help you get the most out of your control panels.