Planning to venture out to Negril, Jamaica soon but not sure about the Covid policy there? Well, the good news is that travel restrictions in Jamaica have been relaxed, restaurants and bars have opened, and certified hotels are allowed to welcome guests.
But what about quarantine rules?
Do you have to wear a mask in public places?
What should you do after landing at the airport?
This handy guide will answer any question you may have about traveling to Negril, Jamaica so you can plan accordingly.
What Should You Know Before Entering Negril, Jamaica After April 2022?
After April 12, 2022, travelers entering Negril, Jamaica no longer need pre-travel testing requirements. Many travel restrictions in Negril have been lifted since March 2022 following a surge in inbound and domestic tourism in Jamaica. This goes the same way to curfew, quarantine, and travel authorization. Only travelers with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 will be requested for quarantine when traveling to Negril, Jamaica.
As the travel restriction has become easier, travelers entering Negril from April 2022 only need to follow this simple process for a hassle-free vacation without risking their health:
- Book your accommodation.
- Book your flight.
- Fill out your Immigration/Customs C5 card after landing at the Jamaica MBJ or KIN Jamaica International Airports. Alternatively, you can also complete the form online. The wait time to go through screening protocols, temperature check, and immigration may last over an hour depending on the travel season. Please note that those with symptoms may be requested for Covid testing right at the airport.
- Arrive at your hotel or any other attraction and follow the protocol requested.
Where Can You Test for COVID-19 in Negril, Jamaica?
There are two certified testing labs and clinics in Negril, Jamaica. These three locations have both Antigens and PCR tests available at travelers’ own expense:
Doc Urgent Care Negril
Address: The Boardwalk Shopping Village, Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril.
Address: Norman Manley Blvd, Negril.
The testing costs range from $60 to $100 for antigen tests and from $150 to $230 for PCR tests as of April 2022.
Here is the testing process for Covid-19 in Negril, Jamaica:
- Travelers are encouraged to book their appointments by filling out a form on the official websites. Depending on which country you’re returning to, you will need to have the test result ready within a required amount of time.
For example, all travelers two and older must have a negative COVID test within 72 hours before your flight if they return to the United States. We recommend you check with your home country or desired destination before getting on the flight from Jamaica to avoid unwanted hassle.
- Once the appointment is booked, you will receive a confirmation QR code or email. Print this out or scan the OR code to provide proof of payment.
- Once the test result is ready, you will receive a digital copy of your test results in form of a soft copy.
- Results for the rapid antigen test are available in less than 1 hour and within 24 to 72 hours for PCR.
Should You Wear a Mask in Public When Traveling around Negril?
- In terms of the mask mandate, travelers still need to wear a mask in public places.
- To prepare for the tourism reopening post-Covid after April 2022, all accommodations with a Covid Compliant Certificate and approved attractions are allowed to welcome guests.
- Highly-risk places such as restaurants, bars, gyms, and zoos are allowed to open but with a capacity limit sometimes.
- Social distancing is still encouraged in hotels, restaurants, beaches, and public places.
Quarantine Rules in Negril, Jamaica
After April 15, 2022, travelers no longer need a pre-travel test before entering Negril. However, if you happen to test positive for Covid, you will be isolated in a public health facility or approved hotel for 5 up to 10 days at your own expense.
After this period, you’re required to take a rapid or antigen test at personal expense. If the result is negative, your isolation will be ended. Otherwise, you need 5 more days in isolation until a negative test is provided.
If you travel with a party and someone in the group is tested positive, you will be required to isolate yourself at the hotel and perform a daily health check-up with an assigned public health official.
In case your vacation ends before the end of the isolation period, you are allowed to be released from isolation by a medical officer and return to your country.
What Should You Know About COVID-19 Policy at Hotels in Negril, Jamaica?
Each hotel in Negril has its own Covid policy. We recommend you check with your hotel and follow any guidelines or protocols during the stay. The general rule may include health declaration, temperature check on arrival, mandatory mask-wearing in public places, and social distancing. However, the rules may vary between different hotels.
At Sandy Haven Resort, there will be safety measures installed to protect guests’ safety and limit the risk of spreading the virus.
For example, they will set up Contactless Sanitization dispensers in and outside of the lobby. Guests are encouraged to check in using the hotel check-in app before arrival or self-check-in online on their devices before receiving the room keys in a sealed sanitized package.
On arrival, you will go through a temperature-check on a contactless handheld thermometer.
For gym use and spa service at Sandy Haven Resort, you are required to make a reservation as only two people maximum traveling together can access the spa room at the same time as well as sanitize footwear using sanitization mats provided at the entrance of the gym.
At some other hotels, QR codes may also be installed for check-in or access to spa and restaurant menus.
Now you have everything you need at hand before entering Negril, Jamaica. Bookmark this handy guide and don’t forget to share it with your friends so they can have a hassle-free vacation in Negril as you do.