Hybrid Mattresses are a mix of two or more different types of technologies within the same mattress to efficiently provide the best of both worlds of the materials and technologies used in the manufacturing of the mattress. While foam mattresses and especially memory foam mattresses are increasingly popular these days, the traditional spring beds have attained a new shape in the form of pocketed coil springs, which are then added to the memory foam mattresses at the bottom. These hybrid mattresses provide the sleeper with the comfort of the memory foam technology and also ensure perfect support from underneath with the help of the pocketed coil springs. Hybrid mattresses are considered superior to all-foam mattresses as they provide a higher level of support and are also very durable offering 10 years of warranty. That is why most of these mattresses are priced above the normal price range of all-foam mattresses. Interestingly, recent manufacturers have succeeded in perfecting the coil spring technology so much so that hybrid mattresses of high-quality are available at prices below $500. Here is a detailed look at: What Is A Hybrid Mattress?, The Advantages, Classic Features, and the Best 3 Options In The Market.
Everything To Know About Hybrid Mattresses
Commonly Asked Questions About Hybrid Mattresses:
Who is best suited for a hybrid mattress?
It is ideal for those who want to have the benefits of a traditional spring mattress (such as firm support and breathability) along with the advantages of using a memory foam mattress (body contouring and pressure relief).
Is a hybrid mattress an ideal choice for restless sleepers?
The innerspring coils used in hybrid mattresses are individually encased so they work to reduce motion transfer. Any movement done on your side of the bed will not travel to the other side, so your loved one can still sleep soundly even if you toss and turn throughout the night.
Why are hybrid mattresses more costly than single material mattresses?
Hybrid mattresses use high end materials to provide durability compared to a pure foam or a coil mattress. You can expect to enjoy the outstanding qualities of a hybrid mattress for a longer time, making it a worthwhile investment.
Is a hybrid mattress an ideal choice for hot sleepers?
Since a hybrid mattress uses innerspring coils that promote proper air circulation within the material, it is ideal for preventing heat from being retained and protecting you from an overheated feeling.
What is a sleep trial? How crucial is a sleep trial?
A sleep trial allows you to try out the features of the high-quality hybrid mattress in the privacy of your home for a specified period. This can make it easier for you to reach a decision regarding the final purchase of this product as a long-term investment for your bedroom.
Characteristics Of Top Hybrid Mattresses:
In general, hybrid mattresses will cost more than foam mattresses, but given the high-quality materials that are used, this is a sound investment you will most likely enjoy for a long time. The spring coil layer works as a more heavy-duty base for the entire mattress that makes it more durable than a mattress with a pure foam base. You can expect to spend years of comfortable sleeping on a hybrid mattress due to its strong and long-lasting materials that make this choice a worthwhile investment.
One of the main qualities you need to consider after your budget is the thickness of the mattress. The firmness of a mattress will affect not only the support that your body will have but also the comfort that you will experience while staying on this surface. It is estimated that approximately 80% of people prefer a medium-firm hybrid mattress that provides a comforting softness along with a fully supportive firmness that keeps the spine in proper alignment to prevent discomfort even when sleeping for long hours at a time. The firmness you prefer may also be influenced by your sleeping position as well as other physical characteristics such as weight, with heavier individuals more likely to benefit more from using a firmer mattress.
This is especially important if you tend to sleep warm. While foam mattresses are known for retaining heat, a hybrid mattress addresses this issue with an innerspring coil layer that works to keep the air flowing freely to prevent heat from getting trapped within. This heat is instead allowed to dissipate before it can make you feel overheated while you sleep. Other hybrid mattresses come with additional cooling features such as gel beads infused in the material to help regulate the temperature so you will always have a comfortably cool surface to sleep on. Other brands have uniquely designed foam with holes or multiple cells that keep the air circulating to discourage heat retention.
Appreciating the benefits of a hybrid mattress may take a while, especially if it will be your first time using this type of mattress. Studies show that it may take at least 30 days for your body to get used to sleeping on a hybrid mattress, so a sleep trial should need this minimum period for a sleep trial to ensure that your body has adjusted to this type of surface, making it easier for you to make the decision of having a hybrid mattress in your home for the long run.
An extended warranty:
A good warranty period for hybrid mattresses can vary in length, anywhere from 10 years to a lifetime limited warranty. When studying the warranty details, it is important to check the coverage rather than just focusing on the length of time of the coverage itself. It is always good to note which conditions are covered by the warranty, such as sagging or indentation on the mattress surface. The warranty should also specify the rules for mattress shipping and replacement whenever applicable, as well as the steps that need to be done to facilitate such claims.
Types Of Hybrid Mattresses That You Can Choose From:
True Hybrid Mattress:
A purely hybrid mattress is a mattress that has a pocketed spring coil layer as the support base along with a thick comfort layer made of latex or memory foam. For a mattress to be considered a true hybrid mattress, it needs to have at least 2 inches of memory foam or latex, although this thickness and ratio to the support layer may vary depending on the manufacturer’s specifications.
A semi-hybrid mattress is a hybrid mattress with a spring coil layer, topped with a comfort layer of memory foam or latex, and then further enhanced with another layer (pillow top or Euro top). This top layer can be made with cotton, polyurethane foam, additional memory foam, fiberfill, latex, or wool.
Foam Hybrid Mattress:
Foam hybrid mattresses do not have spring coil layers but are instead made of different kinds of foam. The usual combination is a high-density polyurethane foam that acts as a supportive base, along with a memory foam top layer for enhanced comfort.
Benefits Of The Top Hybrid Mattresses:
In almost all hybrid mattresses, manufacturers replace the regular memory foam layer with; a layer of latex or proprietary foam with quick responsiveness. This is done to circumvent such issues as the memory foam hugging and cradling the body to such an extent that some people might feel that they are trapped in it. The replacement of the regular memory foam with natural latex and proprietary foam, has quick responsiveness which allows the foam layer to immediately respond to body movements on the surface of the mattress. The foam layer or latex layer regains its shape very quickly, and this way, the sleeper does not feel ‘trapped’ in the mattress. The sleeper can roll on such a hybrid mattress.
Air and breathability:
The innerspring layer portion of a memory foam mattress contributes to a significant improvement in the product’s breathability. This layer, which makes up 70% – 90% of the entire mattress thickness, allows air to freely circulate within the material to prevent heat from getting trapped and making you feel overly warm. This is a marked enhancement in the way the heat is dispersed compared to a mattress made entirely out of memory foam that is notorious for retaining heat, especially when used for long hours at a time.
Durable for 10 years:
The coil spring layer that is featured in most hybrid mattresses offers a much stronger and more durable base compared to the low-density foam base layers found in purely memory foam mattresses. The base foam layer of a memory foam mattress may show depression marks after being used for a few years and tend to break down easier in the process. The innerspring base layer of a hybrid mattress helps maintain the durability of the product for a longer time. On average, a hybrid mattress can last around 10 years, depending on the quality of materials and the wear and tear to which it is subjected.
A comfortable bounce:
Only a mattress that has a coil spring layer will be able to provide you with a welcome bounce that can make moving around on the surface more enjoyable and much easier to manage. Without this ability to spring back, you may find it difficult to move to your desired sleeping position and get out of the bed, especially when you are fond of sleeping on the middle portion. A foam mattress without the springs may make you feel like you are stuck on the surface as you try to move in and out of bed. The spring back features of a hybrid mattress can also make non-sleep-related activities more enjoyable to do compared to using a completely rigid foam mattress.
Offers both comfort and support:
A high-quality hybrid mattress works to provide you with the perfect balance of softness and firmness to give you the most comfortable sleep experience possible. The memory foam top layer offers a soft surface with pressure-relieving qualities to ensure that you will be surrounded with a welcoming surface as you sleep for long hours at a time. Meanwhile, the coil spring layer works to keep your body fully supported to prevent body aches that can be the result of sleeping with an incorrectly aligned spine.
Lowered motion transfer and noise:
The coils that are typically used in the best hybrid mattresses are individually pocketed so they result in decreased motion transfer. The movements are isolated to the point where they were made so your restless movements will not disturb the comfortable slumber of a loved one sleeping on the other side of the bed. The individually encased coils also result in less noise so you can move freely on the mattress without worrying too much about bothering others on the same bed or in the same room.
While regular memory foam hugs and cradles the body, some sleepers who sleep hot usually complain of the memory foam getting a bit too hot in the night, especially in warmer climates. To circumvent this issue, many hybrid mattress manufacturers use gel-infused, bamboo charcoal-infused, green tea infused, or other similar infusions to ensure a serene and cool sleep surface on the mattress. These infusions change the cell structure of memory foam and allow airflow to be enabled within the mattress. This airflow, in turn, wicks away moisture and sweat away from the body, ensuring a very dry, cool, and serene sleep surface. The airflow also disperses body heat and is thus instrumental in thermally regulating the sleep surface. The sleep surface remains at the desired sleep temperature, as a result.
Top 3 Hybrid Mattresses To Buy:
1. Sealy 12 Inch Hybrid Bed
Sealy has been designing and manufacturing excellent quality mattresses since 1881. The company’s hybrid line uses memory foam and innerspring coils enhanced by the proprietary Posturepedic Technology. This bed in a box offers medium firmness that is ideal for most sleeping positions.
- This hybrid mattress is made with an 8-inch base layer composed of fabric-encased coils.
- Below the coils lie a 0.75-inch layer of ultra-supportive foam to keep the coil spring layer fully stable and to provide enhanced durability. Topping the spring coils is a 2.25-inch layer of advanced comfort memory foam that works to follow the contours of your body as you sleep.
- The mattress has the proprietary Posturepedic Technology that uses targeted support with 20% more coils to correspond to the heaviest part of your body so your spine can stay correctly aligned in whatever sleeping position you prefer. This prevents body pain.
- The top layer of adaptive foam works to conform to the contours of your body so you will feel like you are enveloped by an inviting embrace as you sleep throughout the night.
- A special kind of technology is used to keep the foam cool so you can be assured of feeling comfortably cool, even when you sleep in mostly the same position for long hours during the night.
- This mattress works to relieve pressure by distributing body weight evenly on the surface to prevent pain that may come from pressure points being rubbed or pressed into the mattress.
- This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Reinforced coil edge, strengthens the mattress perimeter to enhance durability and to ensure that you can enjoy using the edges for seating with complete support. You won’t feel like you will fall off completely.
- The foam used in this mattress has a CertiPUR-US certification that it does not contain certain harsh chemicals that may be harmful to your health.
2. Nod Hybrid Mattress By Tuft and Needle
Tuft & Needle was founded in Phoenix, Arizona in 2012. The company offers impeccable customer service along with top-notch products that are backed with always-honest pricing guarantees.
- The Nod Hybrid Mattress is equipped with a 6-inch layer of individually pocketed coils that work to keep your body fully supported while you sleep.
- On top of the spring coil layer lies a 1-inch layer of slow-recovery foam that works to decrease the bounce that comes from the springs.
- A ventilated fabric cover helps keep the surface cool for your continuous comfort while sleeping.
- The spring coil layer of this hybrid mattress offers the right amount of support to ensure that your spine stays correctly aligned to follow the contours of your body without being too soft, so you can look forward to sleeping on an inviting surface but with the support that you need to prevent an awkward sleeping position.
- It works to relieve pressure points by ensuring that your body weight is placed evenly on the surface so that pressure-prone body parts are protected from feeling the pain that comes when they are pressed forcefully into the mattress.
- The individually pocketed spring coils work to minimize motion transfer by limiting the effects of moving to the area where they originated, so you can rest assured that your restless movements will not bother the deep sleep of your loved one sleeping on the other side of the mattress.
- The spring coil layer does not make excessive squeaking.
- The supportive spring coils keep your body fully supported so you will not feel like you are sinking too deeply into the mattress surface even when you sleep for long hours at a time.
- This mattress offers a 10-year warranty.
- It comes with a 100-night sleep trial that allows you to try out the mattress in the privacy of your home to help you decide whether it is the one you are looking for to make your sleep more comfortable for years to come.
- The foam used in this mattress is CertiPUR-US-certified to be free from certain harsh substances that can be harmful to one’s health.
3. Sweet Night 12 Inch Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress
Sweetnight mattress offers the right blend of comfort and support to keep you sleeping soundly throughout the night.
- This mattress has a gel-infused memory foam layer that works to adjust to your body’s weight to provide comforting pressure relief so you can sleep for long hours at a time without feeling pain and discomfort.
- The gel infusion, along with the air-flow foam layers, works together to ensure that the mattress stays comfortably cool throughout the night, keeping you from feeling overly warm even when you do not move too much from your original sleeping position.
- The spring coil layer helps maintain the correct spinal alignment so you will not feel discomfort no matter what sleeping position you prefer.
- These springs greatly reduce motion transfer, so the effects of moving are confined to the area where they were made, ensuring that your partner’s deep sleep on the other side of the bed will not be disturbed by your restless movements.
- This mattress has a 10-year warranty.
- It uses foam that has a CertiPUR-US-certification that it does not contain harmful substances such as mercury, formaldehyde, phthalates, and chemical flame retardants so you can enjoy a healthier sleep experience.
- The coils are made with top-quality carbon steel that offers enhanced durability that you can count on for years to come.
- This mattress is available in queen and king sizes.
What is a hybrid mattress can be simply answered by combining the best of both worlds. Memory foam and newly made pocketed coil springs are some of the best combos man has ever created.