Tea tree oil is an essential oil which serves many purposes such as keeping hair, skin and nails healthy. Additionally, tea tree oil has many scientific benefits along with being less expensive, safe and effective for self-use. This article will discuss why I prefer tea tree oil for skin tags and provide guidance on how tea tree oil can be applied effectively and safely.
What are skin tags? Should they be removed?
Many doctors would usually recommend removal of a skin tag only when it causes irritation or discomfort. It is also removed when skin tag constitutes as a cosmetic issue. Skin tag can be removed easily through surgeries by cutting them through small injections after applying local anaesthesia. Freezing technique is also used sometimes to remove them just like warts or benign lesions of the skin. However, removing them naturally is always a good option and using tea tree oil has proven one of the most effective ways to remove skin tag naturally, without using any injections or anaesthesia. Below are some facts related to skin tags:
- A person can have as many as hundreds of skin tags.
- It is believed that almost every human being will develop at least one skin tag in their lifetime.
- Obese and middle-aged people are more prone to develop a skin tag.
- By removing a skin tag, it is feasible that no new skin tags will grow in that place.
- At present, many destructive treatments are applied by people to get rid of skin tags including burning, freezing, snipping and strangulation with a ligature.
- A skin tag is usually flesh-coloured, small, and looks like a small twig.
- A skin tag is probably one single and most commonly found skin bump on human beings.
- Though skin tags are harmless, they can be annoying skin issue.
- The most common area where a skin tag usually grows is neck, eyelids, groin fold, under breasts, and armpits.
What tends skin tag grow?
A skin tag is a very common issue and every human being report having a skin tag at least once in a lifetime. Although a skin tag may occur at any point of life, it mostly occurs in middle-age and adulthood. Toddlers and children may also develop a skin tag but they are more common in obese and overly weighted people.
One of the reasons that tend the growth of skin tag is hormonal elevation like those seen during pregnancy. Changes in hormones cause the formation of skin tag most often. Skin tags are harmless and may not require medical treatment unless they prove bothersome. Hence, many people prefer using tea tree oil for skin tags since it is the painless and natural way to remove the unwanted mark on our skin.
Although skin tags are not related to any particular disease, it is said that certain obese people develop skin tags along with other acute conditions such as acanthosis nigricans on the skin of their armpits and neck besides developing high sugar and blood pressure. Many bumps on skin resemble skin tags while they are not. Many people confuse skin tag with tumour and hence examining the bump pathologically can help them in distinguishing if they have any doubts regarding the bump.
Tea tree oil origins and uses
As the name says, tea tree oil is derived from tea tree leaves. The name given to tea tree can be dated back to eighteenth-century sailors who manufactured tea which smelled like nutmeg grown from the tree leaves surrounding the swampy southeast Australian coast. Many people often get confused between tea tree and common tea plant which is used to make green and black tea.
Tea tree oil is very effective on skin tags and acne i.e. infestation of eyelashes with mites. Along with it, tea tree oil is used by people to cure issues arising due to bad breath, lice, dandruff and other skin conditions. The chemicals used in tea tree oil is very effective in removing fungus and bacteria also besides reducing skin-related allergies.
How to use tea tree oil for skin tags
Although there is no scientific evidence that claims tea tree oil removes skin tags, many theories do support tea tree oil for skin tag removal.
- The Dehydrating effects of tea tree oil
Study reveals that tea tree oil is one of the most effective treatment to cure acne. This works due to the chemicals present in tea tree oil which kills bacteria and another harmful fungus. This, in turn, dries up the pimples and reduces the chances of bumps on the skin. Probably, tea tree oil can even help the skin is drying up so that skin tag is removed naturally.
- An alternative to dermatologist’s process
Many dermatologists treat skin tag by tying a knot to the suture around the skin tag base. This cuts the excessive blood supply to the skin tag causing it to dry and fall off. Tea tree can be a better alternative to this process. Though you may require to tie dental floss around your skin tag before applying tea tree oil to the area.
How to make Tea tree oil compress for skin tag
Tea tree oil solution:
- Dip a cotton ball in tea tree oil
- Place this on a bandage or micro-pore tape and place the bandage securely on the skin tag.
- Let the bandage stay on the skin tag overnight.
- Repeat every night until the skin tag falls off.
- If you face any kind of irritation, discontinue at once.
- For tea tree oil combined with vinegar, you need to mix 100% of tea tree oil with apple cider vinegar.
- You need to dip a cotton ball in the apple cider vinegar.
- Next, add a few drops of tea tree oil on the cotton ball.
- Use bandage or micro-pore tape to place it securely on the skin tag.
- Leave the bandage for around 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the area thoroughly with the help of soap and water.
- Repeat this process for three to four times every day until your skin tag is removed.
- Do not use this process if your skin tag is near your eyes.
Tea tree oil diluted with other oil
If tea tree oil seems harsh or sensitive for your skin, you may dilute it with other carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil. To make the mixture follow the below steps:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of any carrier oil with no more than 3-4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix it well and then apply it on the skin tag for two to three times a day until your skin tag falls off.
Tea tree oil diluted with water
- To dilute tea tree oil with water, add 3-4 drops in one cup of water.
- Add half teaspoon fine sea salt to it.
- Place the mixture in the microwave for around 1 minute.
- Soak a cotton ball or a paper towel in the mixture and hold it over your skin tag for around 5-10 minutes.
- You can repeat this process for three to four times each day until the skin tag falls off.
- Pure tea tree oil has many strengths while some are already diluted. Do read the components parts while purchasing tea tree oil. Tea tree oil which labels 100% tea tree oil can prove irritating to the skin.
- Most importantly, never consume tea tree oil orally as it is not made of tea leaves.
- Clean your skin tag nicely with warm or soap water before applying the tea tree oil solution.
- Never rub tea tree oil very hard on the skin tag as it may lead to unwanted irritation. Do not bring it near to your eye or ears.
- Removing skin tag with tea tree oil may take several days to weeks. Do not lose hope and continue the process until the skin tag falls off.
Tea tree oil side effects
If consumed orally, tea tree oil can prove toxic. While using tea tree oil for skin tags, it is feasible that your skin may face some kind of irritation or allergic reactions. If you face any of these, stop using tea tree oil at once. While using home remedies, skin tag may grow, bleed or become multicoloured. Seek doctor advice under such conditions to ensure that skin tags are not a matter of concern.