Using tea tree oil for hair can have many benefits such as deep scalp cleaning, healthy hair growth, improving scalp health and reducing dandruff. So let’s look at how we can add it to hair masks, hair oils and even use it as a shampoo!
Before we get started please remember that tea tree oil should never be applied directly onto the skin as it is very potent. By applying the oil directly, you can risk inflammation of the area or an allergic reaction so that’s why we mix tea tree oils with carrier oils such as Jojoba oil for fine hair and Coconut oil for thicker hair that can handle the extra conditioning.
DIY Tea Tree Oil for Hair Treatments
DIY tea tree oil scalp massage:
Substitute coconut oil for jojoba if you have finer hair as this is a treatment for the scalp, not for conditioning the hair.
- Add one tablespoon of organic coconut oil to ten drops of tea tree oil in a small bowl
- Put the mixture on your scalp and massage into your roots for ten minutes – be sure to focus areas you feel are extra dry or itchy
- Let the mixture sit for a minimum of ten minutes, although you can leave it in overnight for more intense hydration and treatment
- Rinse out thoroughly with your regular shampoo
- Continue the process once weekly for results and better hair.
DIY tea tree oil scalp shampoo:
One of the easiest ways to use tea tree oil for hair growth is to add it to your existing shampoo routine.
- Open your shampoo bottle and add one drop of tea tree oil for every 30 ml. Add directly into your shampoo bottle.
- Shake the bottle to mix
- Use this shampoo as per your regular routine to see results.
DIY tea tree oil pre-shower solution:
This mixture helps to target skin conditions such as spots on the scalp.
- Add 5 drops of tea tree oil in one cup of water
- Transfer this mixture into an empty spray bottle
- Spray the diluted mixture over the scalp at least 20 minutes before showering, targeting any problem areas
- Wash out thoroughly when you shampoo
- Repeat on a regular basis to see an improvement in your condition
DIY tea tree oil dandruff shampoo:
Using tea tree oil for hair health is beneficial. Those who have dandruff issues can make this DIY shampoo and use it regularly for shiny hair and a nourished scalp.
- 1/4 cup Castile soap
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon glycerine
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 20 drops tea tree essential oil
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well. Pour into a container.
- Shake well. Lather and massage into the scalp. Let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse.
DIY tea tree oil hair rinse:
Not in the mood to shampoo? Don’t worry, tea tree oil is packed with antifungal and antibacterial properties that can cleanse your scalp and unblock pores. This DIY hair rinse can also be used as a conditioner thanks to its nourishing combination.
- 3 tablespoons Grapeseed Oil
- 24 drops Cardamom Essential Oil
- 24 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Into a 4 ounce bottle, combine all the ingredients, replace the cap and shake vigorously until well blended.
- To use, shake the bottle vigorously, dispense 1 to 3 tablespoons onto wet hair, massage into the scalp, comb through hair, rinse with water, dry and style.
Why Tea Tree Oil for Hair Works For All Hair Types
Healthy Hair Growth
Tea tree oil unclogs hair follicles and its stimulating effect improves blood flow to the area, promoting hair growth.
To lengthen hair, add tea tree oil diluted with other carrier oils such as coconut, jojoba or castor oil.
The antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties of tea tree oil benefit the scalp as any microbes which are inhibiting hair growth are killed and the scalp is protected from infections. The oil also effectively deals with hair-related problems if applied regularly.
As a result, hair roots can be protected, promoting healthy hair growth.
Cleansing Of The Hair And Scalp
Tea tree oil has natural components that make it an excellent choice for hair cleansing. Regular use of a small amount of this oil can prevent the chemicals, oils and dead skin buildup up. No build up equals hair and scalp that remain healthy, moisturized and promoting a healthy growth rate. Since tea tree oil is completely natural; it does not damage or dry out the hair so you can say goodbye to greasy hair.
Improved Scalp Health
Tea tree oil can nourish the scalp by improving scalp health. The cleansing property of the essential oil, can unblock the pores and facilitate in increasing the supply of oxygen and nutrients towards the hair follicles.
The beneficial microbial fighting properties of tea tree oil can help to treat dry skin conditions and even prevent and resolve ingrown hairs. This magical essential oil can open the pores and loosen up the ingrown hair which reduces inflammation.
Using tea tree oil for hair can be done through shampoos or medicated shampoos.
These are specialized to contain tea tree oil to improve scalp skin conditions – or you can simply make one according to the DIYs listed above.
A microbe which naturally occurs on the scalp causes dandruff when it feeds on the natural oils in the scalp and creates a by-product known as oleic acid. When your scalp gets sensitive to the presence of this acid, it responds by becoming irritated and sheds skin to get rid of the irritant. While some people don’t have sensitive scalps, the ones that do can experience itchiness, redness of the scalp and the typical symptoms of visible white flakes of dead skin cells known as dandruff.
The antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil help with eliminating the microbes which cause this increased shedding of skin cells.
To help in the treatment and management of dandruff, simply apply a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo or in anti-dandruff shampoos.
Otherwise, tea tree oil can be mixed with carrier oils and massaged onto the scalp. And after you leave it overnight to treat the dryness and itching associated with dandruff, be sure to wash the oil off thoroughly in the morning.