Now you have decided to start with content writing and that’s why you are here which is absolutely cool. And if you haven’t decided yet then I’m sure that after reading this article you are going to think about it if writing is something that interests you.
Here we are going to discuss everything related to freelance content writing that you need to know to start it. In the beginning, you must have tons of questions roaming in your head and absolutely how to do it.
The top questions that we are going to deal with here related to content writing are as follows:-
- What is content writing?
- How do beginners learn content writing skills?
- Why should content writing courses be taken?
- What are different types of content writing?
- How to choose a content writing niche?
- How to become a freelance content writer?
So this is what you need to know to start freelance content writing as a part-time job to earn hundreds and thousands of bucks. You can even do full-time freelancing to earn up to 1 lakh per month easily.
And I am not joking. This is what a full-time freelancer in India is earning easily. Don’t think twice before trying this field and exploring different industries and niches to see if it is the best fit for you.
What is Content Writing?
Content writing is a skill that is being needed by almost every industry these days. If you have a flair for writing and wish to make a career as a content writer then this blog is for you.
Content creation is the process of making content that people want to read. Content writers create different kinds of content for different platforms, like blogs, social media posts, blogs, ebooks, podcasts, etc. They must research relevant topics, make sure their writing is engaging and easy to understand, edit their work constantly to make it as readable as possible, avoid distracting clutter and keep everything relevant yet interesting.
As a content writer, one must be very mindful and diligent with their approach and execution of content marketing. Take into consideration that: A content writer is a professional who knows how to entice a reader and to keep him hooked, which is a very difficult job.
Content writing is a skill that requires a lot of knowledge and a good sense of craftsmanship. As a content writer, you always have to write good content. So, what skills do you need to write good content, and how to learn them?
Keep an eye here to get your answers!
How do beginners learn content writing skills?
The first and foremost tip to write good content is to read a lot of content and then try to write them in your words. Writing is something that can be learned only by practicing writing.
Some basic skills that a content writer must develop in order to make a career in content writing are-
- Research skills
- Time management
- Communication skills
- Editing skills
Apart from these basic skills, there are certainly much-needed skills that you need to develop as a content writer. To name a few these include SEO knowledge, content marketing, social media marketing, etc.
So how can these skills be learned and from where?
The answer is here. Go ahead!
Why should content writing courses be taken?
Everyone thinks a lot when it comes to investing their money in courses. And you must because it’s genuine to care for your money to see where it is going.
Me being a freelance content writer and being very honest and loyal to you, I would advise you to first go for free resources that are available on the Internet. And trust me you will never get short of learning resources to polish your skills and develop a more successful career as a freelance content writer.
There is nothing that is not available on the internet. You are just a search away from your desired results and information which are enough to scale you up every day. In the beginning, you need not invest a lot in expensive courses or books.
But! But! But!
Good things don’t come for free. We are ready to pay thousands or even lacs to our schools and universities for teaching as nothing can teach us how to make money.
If you are someone who truly wants to make a career in content writing then it is a must to take a good course to develop and polish much-needed skills. It gives you a structured road map to your freelance content writing career. By following which you can make six figures freelancing business in content writing.
There are several courses available in the market that claim to be the best. But as a learner, you need to find out which courses are actually best.
So, research well and then go for a good one!
What are the different types of content writing?
We live in a digital age and content writers are very much in demand. Content writing has become an important part of marketing. To successfully promote your business, you need to create content that is interesting and valuable to your audience.
Content writing needs to be engaging, entertaining, and informative. So, what are the different types of content that are produced by the content writers? Here are the most common types of content writing:-
- Blog Posts
- Website Content
- Marketing Copy
- Creative writing
- Descriptive Copies
- Informative Articles
We all know of freelance writers. But did you know of freelance copywriters?
Copywriting is a specialized form of writing that is used by advertisers to promote their products or ideas through the use of persuasive text, style, voice, and other methods. While this type of writing has many applications, including advertising campaigns, political campaigns, and PR campaigns, copywriting also can be applied to services in general.
Freelance writers who are interested in working in the field of copywriting may want to consider learning about different aspects involved when it comes to this specialized area before getting started. Through learning more about the ins and outs related specifically to copywriting many people find it easier to get started so they can apply what they learn in their own business in order to compete in what is known as an industry that embraces diverse ideologies when it comes to advertising methods.
How to choose a content writing niche?
The word “niche” can confuse beginner writers. Niche explains itself to be a small, contained, genealogical unit that makes up part of the larger family. It says that niche is defined as your specialization or expertise in a particular industry or content type.
It’s basically some industry-related topics you write about or the forms of writings that you generally write.
Here’s an example: if you’re a writer specializing in the fiction genre, then your niche would be to write science fiction books. Using this example, your niche would be to create and edit science fiction-related articles. Is that clear?
Niches can basically be divided into two major categories. Let me break down this for you.
1. Industrial niches- All the content types divided according to the type of industry come under industrial niches. This requires your high specialization or expertise in a particular field or industry. Some common and in-demand niches are-
- Cryptocurrency / Blockchain
- Technology writing
- Digital marketing
- Health and wellness
- Real Estate
- Mental health
2. Content-type niches- These content-type niches come under copywriting or content marketing. You can choose 2 to 3 content types that you are comfortable with and start your writing samples as per those types. These are common-
- Long-form blog posts
- White papers
- Case studies
- Email writing
- Sales page
- Video script writing
- E-learning courses
- Social media posts
- Website copy
If you are a beginner then I will advise you not to choose any industrial niches in the first place while starting out. Rather you can choose some content type niches and then keep on exploring different niches with doors content types so that you can get an idea about your interest and knowledge.
It is then advised to go for a particular niche that you think is the best for you!
How to become a freelance content writer?
You really need to recognize that freelance writing requires a lot of hard work and dedication. When you do freelance writing jobs, you are responsible for performing any job for which you get paid on a monthly basis so it’s really up to you to decide how much money will be deposited in your bank account every month.
To start in the world of freelance writing follow these steps to earn your monthly income goals-
- Create samples- The first step is to start writing content for yourself. By which I mean to say start preparing samples for prospects that can convert them into your potential clients. In the beginning, you can prepare at least 3 to 4 samples showing your best works in the niches you have chosen.
- Build a personal brand- Start building a strong personal brand on social media platforms where you can market your services. You can use LinkedIn Instagram Twitter Facebook and YouTube to build your online presence. Although I would recommend you to start with two platforms, mainly LinkedIn, in the first place.
- Start creating content- You must master your industry. Prioritize posting relevant, engaging content that signals to your audience you have a strong grasp on the issues within the vertical you serve specifically. Don’t overwhelm followers with irrelevant ads and offers for products they may not be interested in. Let the quality of your content speak for itself!
- Be consistent, work hard to create a reputable persona that will help potential clients or employers begin to view you more favorably by respecting others already creating content within related social circles. Begin writing content based on your industry. Ensure to be consistent and provide valuable content that will stand out among other pieces featured on similar topics.
- Research your target audience, think about what kind of readers are likely to have an interest in the content you are creating, lay out some plans for how you can execute on this. It’s up to you where you decide to put your efforts but just remember that without proper planning, creating content can get out of hand really fast. Make sure whom you want to help with your skills. They can be business owners, website owners, coaches, company leaders, etc.
- Pitch your services- You need to market your brand and your services and start school pitching to potential clients whom you think can help them with your skills. Introduce yourself to them and remember that do not be too salesy in the first conversations.
If you see your business taking off and getting higher-paying clients, then that just means that your hard work is actually paying off. This is how you create a six-figure online business while just sitting in the comfort of your home.
Don’t think twice before giving it a try and start freelancing in content writing now!