Nowadays, the real estate market is highly competitive. To stand out among other sellers in your area and attract prospective buyers, you’ll need to give them something more than a listing of your property’s features – you’ll need to be able to showcase that you’re an expert.
That means knowing your field is only part of the battle. You’ll also need to know how to best market yourself as an expert at attracting clients and closing deals.
1. Focus on your Sphere of Influence
Consider what kinds of people you already know and how they might be a good resource for you. Your sphere of influence can include your:
- Friends and Family
- People you went to school with
- Neighbors and people in your apartment building or complex
- Members of your church, synagogue, or mosque
The more people you know; the more potential connections you have. Focus on your sphere of influence because it’s important to start with people you know and trust before expanding to other areas.
2. Be Consistent with Your Marketing
Being consistent is key to success when marketing yourself as a real estate agent. You have to keep a presence and a brand that someone can relate to.
Every time you go on a job interview or speak at an event, make sure you’re branding yourself, so your audience knows who you are and what they should expect from you. Being consistent and continuous with your branding will make it easier for people to remember you and connect with who you are.
You should also have a presence whether or not you’re posting listings. That’s why it’s important to stay in front of your target audience even when you don’t have a listing to promote. Here are some things you can do:
- Send postcards to prospective clients with realtor contact information.
- Attend networking events and/or talk to others about how they can succeed in the real estate industry.
- Use social media channels such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook,and Pinterest.
3. Leverage Both Free and Paid Marketing
You can use free marketing to help market yourself as an expert in real estate.
- Free or low-cost newsletters – Look for property blog sites, online magazine publications, and online newsletters with topics directly related to your field. This will give you opportunities to promote your expertise with articles and posts on subjects that are relevant to buyers, sellers, and agents.
- Participate in Twitter chats – Join Twitter chats and groups where there will be an audience interested in what you have to say. You can usually suggest topics of conversation, but don’t be afraid to start them. You’ll get valuable feedback that you can use to improve your marketing strategies.
- Share unique data – Give the audience something of value. Some examples of this would be where you’ve got a higher rate of return on your investments than the average person or how you’ve gotten rid of pests and bugs in your apartment complex.
If you want to use paid marketing, various options and tools are available. The most common are online ads. The best ones are Facebook Ads and Google AdWords, but it’s also worth considering creating an ad for your website.
Direct Mail Postcards
Even in a mostly digital landscape, direct mail postcards are still one of the most effective ways to demonstrate expertise and generate listings in real estate.
There are a variety of options for real estate postcards you can send, including Just Listed postcards, Just Sold postcards, and Market Update postcards. Consistency is key for direct mail, so be sure to plan out at least one postcard per month for at least 18 months to maximize results.
To create a Google AdWords campaign, you’ll need to sign up for an account. Once you’ve signed up and created an ad, you can use it for advertising your services.
It’s important to consider how much space you want to devote to the ad, whether or not it will be shown during different times of the day, and if it should be in a block next to other ads.
The great thing about Google AdWords is that it’s completely free. However, there are fees associated with using the service, so using as much space as necessary is your best interest.
To create a Facebook Ad, you’ll need to be a Facebook user and then go through creating your account. Once you’ve done this, you can begin creating ads that will be shown to people interested in what you have to offer.
You can target people by their interests, demographics, and by location. The great thing about Facebook Ads is that it’s completely free, but there’s also a fee associated with using the service, so targeted ads are advantageous.
Google+ is like Facebook, but it’s a little more Google-y in that it delivers ads based on your interests. The main difference is that you can’t target people by their demographics, but you can only advertise to people who have a Google account, which means they’re more likely to be interested in what you have to offer.
4. Create Your Own Event
Creating your event is a great way to gather potential clients and showcase what you’re capable of. You can also use the event for advertising yourself as an expert in real estate, which will help to create excitement around your work. Here are some ways you can use events to market yourself as an expert:
- Create your own open house – Many realtors offer an open house, where they show off their homes in hopes of selling them. Even if you don’t have listings, you can still benefit by having your own open house. This way, you can position yourself as a realtor without the hassle of actually having to list properties for clients to see.
- Hold a workshop and get everyone involved – No rule says you have to be selling homes at an event. You can hold workshops and other activities that will still help you market yourself to your target audience. This could provide some valuable real estate insight while also letting them know what they can expect from someone like you.
- Conduct a property valuation – People interested in selling their homes will often hire realtors who have experience valuing properties. You can offer your services by conducting a property valuation at the event, which will ensure that you’re seen as someone local to the area and able to provide valuable services.
- Host a party or fundraiser – You’re already hosting parties and events where you’ve got an audience, so why not do this too? Offer them food, drinks, and entertainment to attract people to the area. This is a great way for you to be seen as an expert in real estate because of your position naturally.
By using the marketing tips above and connecting with your potential clients through various methods, you’ll soon see a spike in inquiries from potential buyers and sellers and can begin to build your business.