While a motorcycle offers unequaled freedom on the open road, it can also place a rider in harm’s way. While on their motorcycles, riders have little to no protection against injuries. When a motorcycle collision occurs, serious injuries may result. It is essential riders are aware of the common causes of motorcycle accidents so they can attempt to avoid the dangers.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycle accidents can be truly accidental, but they are often caused by negligence on the part of the rider or other drivers. The following offers information on some of the top causes of motorcycle accidents. If someone has been injured in a serious motorcycle accident, they need to get help from a motorcycle accident lawyer.
Bikers Make Left Turn
Many accidents occur when a motorcycle or another vehicle makes a left turn. Sometimes, a driver will fail to see a bike’s turn signals. Distracted driving also plays a role in accidents caused by left turns.
Hazardous Road Conditions
Hazardous road conditions are another common reason for motorcycle accidents. Slippery roads, grass trimmings, uneven gravel, potholes, and debris on the road can all cause a bike to wreck.
Speeding or Driving recklessly
Speeding and reckless driving are other common causes of motorcycle accidents. Speeding or reckless driving while riding a motorcycle can be deadly. The size of motorcycles and their dynamics play a role in causing them to lose control when speeding and recklessness are factors.
Alcohol and Drug Use
Alcohol is a common reason for all types of accidents. If a driver gets behind the wheel while intoxicated, they may not be able to focus fully and could end up colliding with a motorcycle and causing catastrophic injuries or even death.
Motorcycle Accidents Cause Horrific Injuries
There is very little protection against a motorcyclist and the road or other vehicles. Motorcycle accidents can cause severe injuries and often death. The following are some of the common types of injuries that may occur as a result of a motorcycle accident.
- Head injuries often result, especially if a rider does not wear a helmet. Concussions and traumatic brain injuries are common.
- Biker’s arm is a serious, permanent nerve condition, and it stems from a biker falling on their arm in a motorcycle accident.
- Road rash is another common type of motorcycle accident injury. This type of injury occurs when a person slides across the pavement during an accident.
- Broken bones and dislocated joints are also common injuries. The body has no protection in the event of a crash, and serious injuries often result.
- Facial disfigurement also occurs in motorcycle accidents. Most types of disfigurement occur when a helmet is not worn or it comes off during the accident.
Scheduling a Consultation With an Attorney Is Important
When someone is injured in a motorcycle accident that was the fault of a negligent driver, it is important to seek fair compensation. Fair compensation sometimes cannot be obtained without getting help from a car accident attorney.
Working with an attorney takes a lot of stress off the shoulders of the injured party. The attorney fights for the rights of the injured victim. They negotiate with the insurance company and hold them accountable for settling fairly. In some cases, they end up needing to file a lawsuit and represent their client in court.