Do you have an acne problem that you have tried to get rid of for a long time? You have probably spent a lot of money on various products and treatments that promise to eliminate the problem and give you spotless, healthy skin. Many of these conventional treatments for this common skin condition can not only be very expensive, but also often cause you to experience side effects like redness, dryness and irritation. Nowadays, many people with acne are turning to natural treatments that they can make at home, and a number of them actually work!
10 Home Remedies for Acne That Actually Work
Here is a look at 10 home remedies that actually give you excellent results, making your skin acne-free, bright and soft.
Tea Tree Oil:
One of the most popular natural treatments for skin problems, tea tree oil is a superb home remedy for acne due to its anti-inflammation properties. Although it may take a little time to clear up the problem, a 5% solution of tea tree oil is less harsh on your skin when compared to a 5% benzoyl peroxide solution while being just as effective in the fight against acne.
- • Mix 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil with 20 to 40 drops of witch hazel.
- • Apply on the affected area with a cotton ball.
- • Repeat no more than 2 times a day. You could end up making your skin dry if you do it too often and possibly make the acne worse.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Another popular ingredient for home remedies to treat a wide range of problems – from digestive issues to skin conditions – apple cider vinegar (ACV) contains properties that can fight different types of bacteria and viruses. It also has organic acids that have been found to destroy P. acnes. ACV also dries up excess oil that leads to acne in the first place.
- • Mix 1 part ACV and 3 parts water. If you have sensitive skin, use more water.
- • Cleanse your skin properly and then apply the solution to the affected area with a cotton ball.
- • Allow it to sit for 5 to 20 seconds.
- • Rinse off well with water and gently pat dry.
- • Repeat 1 to 2 times daily.
Honey and Cinnamon:
Honey and cinnamon are both fantastic sources of antioxidants. There have been studies that found that it is more effective to apply antioxidants to acne-affected skin than benzoyl peroxide and retinoids. Antioxidants also have antibacterial properties, so honey and cinnamon can fight bacteria and reduce inflammation – the two most common factors that trigger acne.
- • Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 2 tablespoons of honey to form a paste.
- • After cleansing your skin, apply the mask on your face or any other affected area.
- • Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, rinse off thoroughly and gently pat your skin dry.
- • Follow this remedy once daily until your acne disappears.
Everyone knows the health benefits of green tea, but did you know that you can use it to naturally treat acne? Not only does it contain antioxidants but flavonoids and tannins that are known to help in fighting bacteria and reducing inflammation as well, which as mentioned earlier, are two common causes of acne. Its antioxidants reduce production of sebum, inhibit the growth of P. acnes and fight inflammation in people with acne-prone skin.
- • Steep green tea for 3 to 4 minutes in boiling water.
- • Allow it to cool and then pour into a spray bottle to spritz your skin. You can also apply it on your skin with a cotton ball.
- • Allow it to dry and then rinse off and pat dry.
- • Repeat 2 times daily for best results.
- • You can also crush the used green tea leaves and mix it with honey to make an anti-acne face mask.
You cannot make a list of home remedies for skin conditions like acne without including aloe vera. Its gel is often added as an ingredient in ointments, lotions, creams and soaps and used to treat burns, rashes, abrasions and other skin issues. This magical plant contains sulfur and salicylic acid – ingredients that are extensively used to fight inflammation and treat acne.
- • Extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- • Cleanse your skin thoroughly and apply the gel directly on the affected area as a natural moisturizer.
- • Repeat 1 to 2 times daily, or as often as you desire.
This is another excellent natural treatment for acne as mint has the ability to remove oils that clog pores. You can use this fresh, delicious herb to help in clearing acne before it actually becomes a major breakout. Mint, with a few other ingredients, can help you prepare an amazing home remedy to treat your acne problem.
- • Mix 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh mint and 2 tablespoons each of oatmeal and plain yogurt. Pulverize the oatmeal into powder with a blender.
- • Apply the mixture on the areas of your skin affected by acne.
- • Leave on for about 10 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- • Repeat 1 to 2 times a day for best results.
This is a popular ingredient used in traditional medicine to prevent colds and flu and speed up the healing process of cuts, wounds, etc. But echinacea also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that are necessary for the effective treatment of acne. For a simple natural remedy that works well in treating and preventing acne, opt for echinacea.
- • Prepare echinacea tea to make a natural face wash.
- • Soak a soft, clean cloth with it and place it over your face.
- • Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse off and moisturize as usual.
- • You can also add a few drops of echinacea tincture on a cotton ball and dab it on the affected area.
- • Follow this remedy once daily until your acne is gone.
Chamomile: Do you often sip on chamomile tea to relax? Make double use of this awesome herbal tea as a home remedy for acne. Chamomile is known to be helpful in reducing inflammation that comes with acne. This is another amazingly effective natural treatment for this pesky skin condition.
- • Combine the contents of 1 chamomile tea bag with enough water in a coffee grinder or blender to form a paste.
- • Apply the paste to the affected area and leave on until it dries naturally.
- • Rinse off thoroughly and pat your skin dry.
- • Alternately, you can steep 2 chamomile tea bags in 1 cup of boiling water for 15 minutes.
- • Allow it to cool and then after cleansing your face properly, dab it on your face with a cotton ball.
- • You can repeat both remedies 2 times a day for great results.
Packed with powerful antioxidants, lemon is a fantastic natural ingredient for treating acne. This delicious fruit acts as a disinfectant, skin lightener and exfoliant and works in preventing and treating acne. It also helps in reducing the scars left behind by the skin condition.
- • After cleansing your skin, dab a cotton swab or cotton ball dipped in fresh lemon juice directly on the acne.
- • Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse off with cool water.
- • Repeat 1 to 2 times daily for best results.
Coconut Oil and Sugar:
One of the most important things to do when you have an acne problem is to exfoliate your skin. This is why many people with the condition go for microdermabrasion treatment, but this can often cause redness, dryness, etc. You can make a natural homemade scrub with coconut oil and sugar to exfoliate and improve acne.
- • Mix equal amounts of coconut oil and sugar and gently scrub the affected area with it.
- • You can leave it on for a few minutes if you desire, and then rinse off thoroughly.
- • Exfoliate your skin once a day to help eliminate acne.
As you can see, there are many home remedies for naturally treating acne. Keep in mind that one that works for one person might not work for you. You need to try different remedies to find the one that works best for you and continue to follow it until your acne is completely gone.