Vaginal odor is a common problem among teenage girls and women. It can be an embarrassing problem and keeps you from going out and socializing. It is but natural to hide this problem and not consult a doctor to have it sorted! Women of all age groups, shy from discussing discharge odor, which often leads to yeast infections that may call for medical intervention! There are a number of causes for this problem, including poor hygiene, hormonal changes, yeast infections, bacterial growth and sexually transmitted diseases. A fishy odor is caused by bacterial vaginosis. If the problem is caused by an infection, you may experience symptoms like burning, itching, irritation and redness in the vaginal area.
If you are pregnant, you are likely to have to deal with foul discharge odor! However, you aren’t alone! Years ago, while I was expecting firstbornorn, I was plagued with yeast infections and often had to resort to suppositories for relief. Several hundred women suffer from this problem and resort to simple home remedies to combat with it. While there is no definitive way to prevent vaginal discharge odor except maintaining good hygiene, the good news is that you can get rid of vaginal discharge odor with safe and natural remedies using easily available ingredients. Here is a look at some of the best home remedies that I tried to fight discharge odor. And, yes, they were given a nod of approval from my gynaecologist too!
You can try these remedies, whether or not you are pregnant, and whether or not you suffer from a yeast infection. They work like a charm!
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is a very common ingredient in home remedies for treating a wide range of health and skin problems. Apple cider vinegar is also effective in fighting vaginal odor as it has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. In fact, one of the simplest ways to eliminate this odor is to bathe with ACV. It will help in combating toxins and bacteria that cause the problem. ACV also helps in restoring the acidic quality of the vaginal flora. One of the first remedies you should try to treat vaginal odor is apple cider vinegar.
How to Use:
• Mix 2 cups of ACV in warm bath water.
• Soak in the water for about 20 minutes.
• Do this a few times a week for best results.
• Drinking a glass of water mixed with 1 or 2 teaspoons of ACV every day can help eliminate this odor.
This is another very effective ingredient for treating vaginal discharge odor. Yogurt contains a high level of lactobacillus bacteria, which fights Candida infection – a major cause of vaginal odor – and restores the vaginal pH level to normal. Once there is a balance in the pH level, the vaginal discharge odor will disappear.
How to Use:
• Eat 2 cups of plain, unsweetened yogurt every day.
• Probiotic supplements are helpful in getting rid of vaginal odor as well.
• You can also soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it into your body.
• Leave it in for a few hours, remove it and then rinse off the vaginal area thoroughly.
This is another ingredient that balances the pH level in your body, which is, as mentioned earlier, necessary to prevent vaginal odor. When baking soda brings your pH level back to normal, it is able to control excessive bacteria and fungi. This in turn treats the infection and gets rid of the vaginal discharge odor instantly.
How to Use:
• Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to a large basin of water, or you do it in your bath tub as well.
• Soak the lower half of your body in the water for 20 to 30 minutes.
• You can also mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of warm water and drink it daily until the odor goes away.
• You can also make your own baking soda water to use as a vaginal wash.
As mentioned earlier, bacterial vaginosis one of the causes of vaginal odor, and hydrogen peroxide is a highly effective ingredient in treating this condition. It contains natural disinfecting properties that kill harmful bacteria in the vagina, which in turn helps to increase the number of helpful bacteria that are naturally present in the vagina. When you have a bad case of vaginal discharge odor, hydrogen peroxide is the best solution to get rid of it.
How to Use:
• Mix equal parts of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water.
• Soak a tampon with the solution and insert it into your body.
• Leave it on for 30 minutes – make sure that you do not exceed this time
• Repeat every few hours until the odor is completely gone.
As you may know, cranberry juice is an excellent natural treatment for UTI (urinary tract infection). It has been found that cranberries can effectively eliminate vaginal discharge odor as it has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. They fight the bacteria affecting the urinary tract and vagina. Cranberries also prevent bacteria from sticking to the vaginal wall which in turn prevents the growth of bacteria.
How to Use:
• Soak 1 cup of fresh cranberries in 1 liter of water overnight.
• Sip the water throughout the day to flush out toxins and keep bacterial infections away.
• Juice or blend the cranberries without removing the pulp and drink it.
• Drink 1 glass daily to get rid of vaginal odor.
Note: If you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, remove the pulp before blending the cranberries.
Both fenugreek leaves and seeds have many benefits for women. They help in maintaining hormonal balance, reducing menstrual cramps, improving digestion, reducing abdominal fat and reducing blood sugar levels. Fenugreek is a good source of vitamins and minerals and helps in weight loss. When there is less fat in the body, it results in less sweat, which is one of the causes of vaginal discharge odor.
How to Use:
• Boil 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in 1 liter of water until the water reduces to half.
• Allow it to cool and drink it every morning before breakfast.
• You can also soak fenugreek seeds in the water overnight.
• Drink the water on an empty stomach in the morning.
• Repeat for 2 weeks for best results.
No woman wants to have vaginal discharge odor, but there are times that this problem cannot be avoided. If you find yourself with this problem, do not worry as these effective home remedies will help you quickly get rid of it. Natural and safe, these home remedies work wonders and do away with the need for chemical-filled products that do more harm than good. The best part is that these ingredients are easily available – in fact, you probably already have them in your kitchen, saving you money. Get rid of nasty vaginal odor with these amazing home remedies and go out with confidence once again!